Register

Basic steps of building a community

Discuss all things about Management & Promotion for your Forum
User avatar
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:05 am

Basic steps of building a community

Postby stcole » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:34 am

If I want to start a forum. Then what are the basic steps that I should follow to make it grow? I know that forum communities are a lot different from blogs and they are pretty tough to get traffic to them. But every forum starts from scratch first, right? So what should I do?

Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:03 am

Forums does not have any switch that you can just put it on and it will start running automatically by itself. And also there are no general procedure or steps to start and run successfully an online community. But there are some elements which are important and must be taken care of in order to run a forum.

Gather information on your niche as much as you can. First of all start small. Often people make this mistake by creating huge number of boards and sub-forums. After some time they fail to update regularly all the boards and it looks empty which is pretty bad for a new forum. Start with the most basic categories of your niche as boards and once it starts generating content by itself or have enough content in them, you can split them into sub-boards.

Forums are all about content. So build content every day. Atleast 10 topics per day is a good number for a new forum. And if more then even better. Nobody wants to join a forum which is empty. Read everything, every article that you can find in your niche and create your own articles according to them. Remember true knowledge is always the main power. If you are starting a forum then people will come to you with their problems and you must be able to solve their problems.

To run a forum successfully and to get members who are willing to contribute to your community you must must outreach to the right audience. SMO, PPC use any medium you like but make sure that in that medium you are targeting the correct crowd. My personal favorite is forum marketing. Its free & totally helps me to get new members and not to mention it gives me plenty of targeted traffic.

User avatar
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:08 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby batman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:36 am

- Create content as much as you can.
- Not only build topics or discussions but also build tutorials, helpful articles, how to's etc.
- Ask your friends co-worker who are actually interested in your niche to join.
- You can invest money in the advertising but making any investment first make sure you forum has a professional design and enough content to get the eye of the audience.
- Try to get traffic from the search engines. SEO can be hard in the case of forum but remember they are not impossible.. So, go for it.
- Build a sense of community in the forum. People will not join your forum if its bot help and have no sense of community. Make an impression that people think that if they come to your forum and post their problems will resolved for sure.
"IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT, FAKE IT"

User avatar
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby supaul » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

I think content is main factor that needs to be taken care of in case of a community. No one likes to join an empty forum.
Last edited by supaul on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby zeus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Paul wrote:Forums does not have any switch that you can just put it on and it will start running automatically by itself. And also there are no general procedure or steps to start and run successfully an online community. But there are some elements which are important and must be taken care of in order to run a forum.

Gather information on your niche as much as you can. First of all start small. Often people make this mistake by creating huge number of boards and sub-forums. After some time they fail to update regularly all the boards and it looks empty which is pretty bad for a new forum. Start with the most basic categories of your niche as boards and once it starts generating content by itself or have enough content in them, you can split them into sub-boards.

Forums are all about content. So build content every day. Atleast 10 topics per day is a good number for a new forum. And if more then even better. Nobody wants to join a forum which is empty. Read everything, every article that you can find in your niche and create your own articles according to them. Remember true knowledge is always the main power. If you are starting a forum then people will come to you with their problems and you must be able to solve their problems.

To run a forum successfully and to get members who are willing to contribute to your community you must must outreach to the right audience. SMO, PPC use any medium you like but make sure that in that medium you are targeting the correct crowd. My personal favorite is forum marketing. Its free & totally helps me to get new members and not to mention it gives me plenty of targeted traffic.


Thanks for the insightful information Paul.

User avatar
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby avinash » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I have worked on some communities before all it takes is content and a dedicated group of people who are solely committed in contributing and keeping the community clean.

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby John G. Anai » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:42 pm

Building a Better Community

Define the purpose of your community
Proper Budgeting
Proper Planning
Know your customer
Listen to what your members are saying

Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby damponting44 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:52 am

Steps of building a community:
1. Proper planning.
2. Identify a need.
3. Model what you want.
4. Spread the word.
5. Listen to what your members are saying.

User avatar
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby supaul » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 am

John G. Anai wrote:Building a Better Community

Define the purpose of your community
Proper Budgeting
Proper Planning
Know your customer
Listen to what your members are saying


damponting44 wrote:Steps of building a community:
1. Proper planning.
2. Identify a need.
3. Model what you want.
4. Spread the word.
5. Listen to what your members are saying.


You guys forgot the most important thing which is content.

Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:25 am

Re: Basic steps of building a community

Postby TinaNamdev » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 am

our niche as boards and once it starts generating content by itself or have enough content in them, you can split them into sub-boards.

Return to Forum Management & Promotion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests